Monday 13 January 2014

Review: Twisted by Amity Hope

Twisted
Author: Amity Hope
Pages: 284
Publication Date: May 22, 2012


 Maya Anderson has faced more than her share of tragedy and heartbreak. For the past six years she’s constantly been on the move with her mom. When another disaster strikes, she finds herself back in her childhood hometown of Beaumont, living with her older sister for her senior year.

A chance meeting reacquaints her with Ben McCaffey, a long-forgotten classmate from her past. After the death of his girlfriend, Ben has become a social outcast. He’s despised by some and feared by most.

Determined to become Ben’s friend, Maya begins to break through his layers of emotional protection. It isn’t long before they realize that they both have secrets in their pasts. As the line between dealing with grief and struggling with a desire for revenge begins to fade, the secrets that draw them together may be what will ultimately tear them apart. Because the closer Maya gets to Ben, the more dangerous her situation becomes.


Based on the review of Ann Aguire, who is the author of the Enclave trilogy, I decided to give this one a go especially since this was a freebie on Amazon. Before going into this, I glanced at a few reviews. Some had said that this was a tear-jerker or it contained some parts that were going to make you cry. To those who reviewed this book, I agree with the tears being spilled however, the ending to this novel was quite disappointing.

Twisted starts off  with our main character, Maya being hit by a car. As I read further into the chapter, I felt like that the love interest was introduced too quickly. Ben was already introduced in the second passage as the bystander who had just witnessed the scene. From the lengthy description of Ben, it was completely obvious that he was the leading love interest. Usually, when I dive into novels, I prefer the leading love interest to slowly maneuver his way into the book. By that I don't mean that he comes after the hundred-fifty mark because if I were ever to come across a novel like that, I would be sure that it will certainly not make it's way to my three-star rating.

The relationship between Maya and Ben was a rather rocky one. With Ben being the most hated person at school, it was difficult for them to be friends. No one - I mean, no one - hung out with Ben. He was a loner. With an ugly past, Ben was known as a murder. I don't want to get into the details since I actually want you guys to read this, but Amity did an excellent with getting me emotional. It was depressing to see Ben suffer through high school. Constant beatings, verbal abuses from his parents, Ben was literally miserable. What Ben went through, I could never wish  that upon my greatest enemy.

One of the most surprising things that I stumbled upon was that our love interest, Ben is an avid reader. He reads a book a day? Now, that's something we have in common. But not only that, he works at the library as well.

"I usually read a book a day." He hesitated before adding, "Or maybe every other day. Depending on the book. Or the day." 

Loves books? Works at the library? May I just declare that Ben is the one for me?

Now onto the disappointing part to the novel, the ending of Twisted was completely predictable. It was obvious that Alec was the bad guy. The author hints it to us in so many ways that I didn't even have to give a second thought whether I was right or wrong. One of the dumbest things you could ever do is get into a car with someone who's been bullying you and is known to have a quick temper. I mean, what on earth were you thinking Maya? Alec beats up Ben up all the time. What makes you think that you aren't on his list? Seriously, if you have a bad feeling about someone, never and I repeat never, be alone with them

I'm conflicted whether I liked it or loved it. Usually, when an author writes a character that made me cry, the novel itself would usually stand out rather than the rest that I have read, but with the way things concluded, I'm not sure if it is worth re-reading. Maybe in the future, I would re-read parts my favourite scenes, but I know for sure that I won't be touching the ending.


3.5/5 STARS



No comments:

Post a Comment