Monday 5 August 2013

Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson

Second Chance Summer
Author: Morgan Matson
Pages: 468
Publication Date: May 8, 2012
Publisher: Simon & Schuster



Taylor Edwards’ family might not be the closest-knit—everyone is a little too busy and overscheduled—but for the most part, they get along just fine. Then Taylor’s dad gets devastating news, and her parents decide that the family will spend one last summer all together at their old lake house in the Pocono Mountains.

Crammed into a place much smaller and more rustic than they are used to, they begin to get to know each other again. And Taylor discovers that the people she thought she had left behind haven’t actually gone anywhere. Her former best friend is still around, as is her first boyfriend…and he’s much cuter at seventeen than he was at twelve.

As the summer progresses and the Edwards become more of a family, they’re more aware than ever that they’re battling a ticking clock. Sometimes, though, there is just enough time to get a second chance—with family, with friends, and with love.



After being impressed with Morgan Matson's debut, Amy and Roger's Epic Detour, I thought I would read another novel by her. Second Chance Summer wasn't as good as her debut, but I still enjoyed it. The story starts off with our protagonist, Taylor, preparing to leave home as she doesn't want to go back to her summer home. I think the author did a splendid job with the beginning. Taylor tries to leave peacefully but someone just has to come and stop her from doing so.

Taylor hasn't been to her summer home for five years. When she left, she didn't leave on good terms. The only reason they go back is because it's her father's choice to go back. Taylor's father is dying of cancer. Her dad knows that it may be their last summer together so the best way to spend it was in their summer home where they had the best memories.

Our protagonist, Taylor was a runner. She ran from her problems and refused to take responsibility of it. I didn't like how her friends still held a grudge against her. It was what? Five years ago? And she was twelve! Do you know how many stupid decisions you make when you're twelve? A lot. You're almost an adult and you still can't move on a mistake she made when she was twelve. I found it annoying how her ex-best friend treated her like crap. I mean, just move on and forget the past.

What I liked about Taylor was that she was easy to relate to. Taylor realized her mistakes and learned from them. But she ended up making the same mistake again. Which to me is extremely realistic. We all make the same mistakes over and over again. I was glad that Morgan wasn't afraid to write about that.

That ending was heartbreaking. I have to admit, I spilled a few tears for this book. That letter that was left behind for Taylor broke my heart. I hate it when books have letters because I get so emotional. I just couldn't handle it.

Second Chance Summer is a splendid summer read - humorous and sad at the same time. I wouldn't say it was a quick one. It was nearly five hundred pages. But it is definitely worth your time!

3.5/ 5 STARS

2 comments:

  1. Awww. I LOVED this one os much! :( I think they weren't so much as angry about the incident at 12 as they were about her leaving and never saying a word to them...? I dunno lol! But YES. The ending nearly killed me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I knew what was going to happen in the end, but I didn't think it would be that sad. But yes, I'm totally with you when that ending nearly killed you. Haha.

      Delete