Monday 8 July 2013

Gone by Michael Grant


Author: Michael Grant
Pages: 576
Publication Date: June 24, 2008
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books



Except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not one single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Just as suddenly, there are no phones, no internet, no television. No way to get help. And no way to figure out what's happened.

Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day.

It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen, a fight is shaping up. Townies against rich kids. Bullies against the weak. Powerful against powerless. And time is running out: On your birthday, you disappear just like everyone else...

I know I'm like the last person to read this, but it's never to late to start a series right? After reading non-stop five star reviews on this series, I finally decided it was time for me to hop onto the bandwagon and see what the hype was all about. Before I finished it, I thought the book was going to be a bit of drag since it was over five hundred pages, but it was not like that at all.

What I loved about this book was the beginning. I loved how it cut right to the chase. From the first page, you already have all the adults gone. Those who are fifteen or older were vanished from earth. I assumed that they would have been happy that the teacher were missing.  No teachers? No rules? YES! But they were actually all in shock. They couldn't believe what was happening especially when they found out their parents were gone as well. 

Gone is in third person but it is written several POV's. You were into Sam's, Caine's, Astrid's, Drake's mind and so much more. I loved the variety. They all had their own quirks and their flaws which I certainly enjoyed reading. How they coped with the situation was one of the main reasons why I loved this book. There were babies that needed to be changed, kids that needed to be fed and teens that needed to be healed. I've already dived into the second book because the first book left me wanting more. 

Overall, it is  fast-paced, thrilling and is filled with butt-whooping characters! 

4/5 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment