Wednesday 26 June 2013

Eleanor and Park By Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & Park
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Pages:320
Publication Date: Febrauary 26, 2013
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin

  
 
"Bono met his wife in high school," Park says.
"So did Jerry Lee Lewis," Eleanor answers.
"I’m not kidding," he says.
"You should be," she says, "we’re sixteen."
"What about Romeo and Juliet?"
"Shallow, confused, then dead."
''I love you," Park says.
"Wherefore art thou," Eleanor answers.
"I’m not kidding," he says.
"You should be."

Set, over the course of one school year in 1986, ELEANOR AND PARK is the story of two star-crossed misfits – smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love – and just how hard it pulled you under.

Before I start off, I have to say the author has one incredible name - Rainbow.

Eleanor and Park is a contemporary romance novel. Normally, I wouldn't read any books that were set in the 1980's, but this was one exception due to all the hype around this book. I absolutely think that this book lives up to its hype. 

I loved Eleanor. Everything she felt, I felt as well. I was crying and crying over what she was feeling.  All the insecurities she was facing with definitely represents some of the challenges other girls are dealing with now. My heart broke into two when her clothes was stolen and she was forced to walk around in her gym suit. Eleanor was ashamed of her body, yet she tried her best to embrace it. Eleanor struggled with life but yet she kept moving forward. 

Park and Eleanor were so cute. I loved how they met, their witty conversations and their love for comics and music. I was crying happily whenever they were talking. One of my friends called me dramatic because I was crying. 

I didn't like the ending. I was absorbing the ending and when I flipped the page, hoping to see that Eleanor and Park would meet each other again, I ended flipping to the acknowledgement page. I know lots of other readers enjoyed the ending, but I didn't. I wanted more.

Overall, Eleanor and Park was a great YA novel. I can't wait for her new book, Fangirl to be released!

4/5 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment